As the vision for AirBadminton is for it to be played by as many people, in as many places as possible, ease of set up is essential.
Key elements needed to play AirBadminton are:
The posts shall be placed on the doubles & triples side lines irrespective of whether singles, doubles or triples is being played.
- When playing on grass and hard surfaces courts, posts shall be 1.55m in height from the surface of the court.
- For sand surface, the posts shall be 1.5m in height and the top of the net from the surface should be 1.45m at the centre of the court.
Research showed that by lowering the net to 1.45m, errors were reduced and rallies were extended.
The net shall be made of thick cord of dark colour and with a mesh between 1.5cm and 2cm.
- It should have between 80cm and 1m in depth and 6.1m wide minimum.
- It is recommended that the top and bottom of the net should be edged with a 5.5cm white tape doubled over a cord or cable running through the tape.
- The cord is to be stretched firmly and be flush with the top of the posts.
When playing on grass and hard surfaces, the top of the net from the surface of the court should be 1.52m at the centre of the court and 1.55m over the side lines for doubles and triples.
Portable net systems are also very popular and can be purchased at most sporting goods stores.
There are two side lines of 16m, two base lines of 6m and two dead zone lines of 6m. There is no centre line that divides the court into equal left and right service courts.
The lines should be 4-5cm in width and contrast sharply to the colour of the surface. For sand and natural grass surfaces, boundary lines should be ribbons made of resistant material.
- A bungee cord should be attached to each corner and connected to a buried anchor disk.
- The bungee will provide the tension necessary to keep the boundaries in place while giving the flexibility to minimise the chance of injury should a player catch their foot under the line.
For concrete and asphalt surfaces, boundary lines should be a tape made of resistant material that sticks firmly to the ground or they can be marked/painted directly on the surface.
As the AirBadminton game takes place in outdoor environment, the presence of wind and gusts will impact the flight performance of the AirShuttle. Much of the power in a badminton shot comes from the string. Thus, it is important to know how string tension can affect the AirBadminton game.
AirBadminton has been designed to be played with the same traditional rackets. However, based on the outdoor elements involved during the game it is recommended that players use a lower tension (between 8-9kg / 17.5-20lbs) and a thicker string when playing AirBadminton.